1. Coaching is a series of structured, non-judgemental conversations in a confidential and safe environment that analyses employee behaviour and performance.
2. It will raise the awareness of the employee; of how they behave, the consequences and the alternative choices.
3. It embeds a sense of personal responsibility. Learning to recognise and make considered choices will lead to managing events more effectively. Success will build confidence and self-belief for the future. When we learn to accept responsibility for our actions, we accept and learn from the consequences, rather than become angry or seek to blame others. We also have a stronger commitment to succeed and our determination and performance increases.
The Coaching can be 1-1 or it can be delivered in groups. In groups there may be individual and shared goals, the proces is the same. As progress is reported, support, challenge and problem solving ideas come from the whole group. Learning is shared and therefore is potentially greater. Challenge and accountability is also shared and therefore is felt more strongly. An added bonus is that a bond often develos long term between group members.
How does Coaching work?
At the outset corporate and personal goals will be discussed and clarified. At each subsequent meeting progress towards these goals will be discussed, and further actions agreed. During each session the coach will listen very carefully and ask pertinent questions or challenge, in order to help broaden understanding of the situation and help to identify what options are available and which are preferable, so the client moves forward.
Real understanding is not easy to achieve without focused reflection. Through it we can learn to manage our behaviour more effectively. Helping people to carry out this purposeful reflection is at the heart of any coaching or mentoring process.
The sessions can be based fully on normal work practices, or can be more structured, with additional study or tasks assigned as part of the process. It is a holistic process, so if an issue at work or a personal block has its roots elsewhere in a person’s life, the coach will also work on this with the client. (This potentially gives additional benefits of increased confidence and productivity.)
Goals and achievements will be recorded by the coach in order to monitor progress. However all details of discussions and issues will remain confidential.
Where does the employer fit in?
There are usually 3 review meetings involving the line manager.
1. At the start - The goals and process must be agreed at the outset.
2. Midway - Progress is reviewed and analysed. Any concerns or barriers can be addressed.
3. At the end – a final meeting will take place to review outcomes, recognise achievements and plan for the future.
These meetings are important, as they create an understanding and alliance that can be built upon into the future. The manager's input is key to fully supporting the learner and to making changes sustainable.
So - What makes Coaching different?
1. The learning is direct and personal, and yet objectives and structure are pre-agreed with the employer.
2. It allows the combined elements of skills and attitude to be explored in a way that is specific to the individual but very beneficial to the employer.
3. This feels like a very safe way to explore and learn about oneself and therefore people engage with the process.
4. The conversations are meaningful and challenging because they reflect on real situations and the focus is always on behaviour and performance.
5. The client is encouraged to approach situations differently; the approach can potentially be applied again and again to new situations.
6. With a little nurturing a new culture of learning and problem solving can emerge that will foster a more engaged and proactive workforce.
7. The line manager and therefore the organisation is involved throughout, this aids transfer of learning and strengthens the client-manager relationship.
8. The result is a more focused, aware and empowered person, who has the motivation and commitment to achieve more, short and long term.
For a confidential chat about coaching, with no obligation call Make That Change on 07594 606062